Thursday, June 2, 2016

NBA Finals Preview

Image result for 2016 nba finals


It All Comes Down to This

All season long, this has been the goal. Well, sorta. Two teams remain. Golden State and Cleveland, the top two teams in their respective conferences face off for the second year in a row for the NBA's crown jewel. Golden State is looking to repeat as Champs and also cap off the best season by an NBA team. Golden State looking to win their fifth NBA Championship while the Cavs are looking for their first ever. It is very notable that the city of Cleveland hasn't won a major sports championship since 1964 (the Browns did it). Before we get into predictions, let's take a look at how each team got here.

Golden State set an NBA record with 73 during the season. Steph & Co were supposed to roll through the playoffs. After Steph missing time for injury, they found their backs against the wall in the Western Conference Finals as they trailed the Oklahoma City Thunder three games to one. Against all odds, the Warriors won three straight to make it past the Thunder and into the Finals. All eyes are on them as they are the heavy favorites.

Cleveland is here because LeBron came back. He is making a sixth straight appearce in the NBA Finals as well as a repeat for Cleveland. With a decent (better than previous years) supporting cast, Cleveland might have its best chance yet at a championship. Throughout the playoffs, they were untested as they swept through the first two rounds. They toyed with Toronto in the Conference Finals, but now they have made it back to where they intended to be. Let's see what our experts predict,

Dug's Take:

I really dislike both teams. I was pulling hard for OKC against the Warriors, but they fell short. It was nearly agonizing to watch how they had the series and then lost it. I also don't give a shit for LeBron or Cleveland. Nothing would tickle me more than to watch Cleveland lose again and add to their woes. With that being said, you're bound to have a good guy (LeBron) versus the bad guy (the Warriors). I hate Draymond Green. He's dirty, and there is no room in the sport for what he has gotten away with. I think the Warriors were very lucky to get past the Thunder. They might have had the better record, but they weren't the better team. Cleveland has made mincemeat of their competition throughout the playoffs. The Raptors were by no means world beaters, but Cleveland took care of business. I think that LeBron has the better supporting cast. Steph and Klay Thompson can only shoot so much. I don't think they can do to Cleveland what they did to OKC. Cleveland is big where Golden State refuses to play big. As bad as I hate to say both of the following predictions, Cleveland in 5 with a darkhorse for MVP in Kyrie Irving. Damn Dukies.


Corbeech's Take:

For the moment, I'm still a Cleveland fan. That will soon change as the lottery nears. But as a Cleveland fan, I know how much it sucks to be a Cleveland fan and how they'll never win anything meaningful. LeBron is the only hope Cleveland has of being competitive in any sport. If you aren't following, Cleveland sucks and Dan Gilbert is an idiot. Golden State got lucky to get past the Thunder and I have believed all postseason long that whoever won the Western Conference would be able to make it fairly easily through the East in the playoffs. Everyone knows the West owns the East and this year is no different. As good as Cleveland is, I'd take Golden State, Oklahoma City, and San Antonio over them. I'm not really sugar coating this, but I don't think Cleveland has much of a shot vs Golden State and it makes me sad. I don't like the Warriors, but I HATE Steph and #23 for Golden State. I hope they never win another game in their careers. However, I think they've got four wins coming their way. I'll say Golden State in 6. For MVP, I'm saying it will be Klay Thompson edging out Andre Igoudala. I think Kyrie will give Steph issues and limit his takeover ability, so Klay is the next best choice. Prove me wrong Cleveland. Please.


Alty's Take: 



I think both conference championship series taught us two things.
1. The Cleveland Cavaliers can not play on the road.  
2. The Warriors do not play well when Draymond Green is agitated and playing poorly. 

Even though the teams are quite similar to what we saw in last year's NBA finals, I think position match-ups will determine the outcome of the series. 

LeBron James is going to do LeBron James things. He very well may end up averaging close to a triple double. A potential problem I see is Klay Thompson shooting the lights out of whoever plays the two position. That could be JR Smith or that could be Iman Shumpert. Either way I look for Klay to have a huge series. 

Andre Iguodala is going to have to guard LeBron James just like he did in last year series. Performances like Iguodala's Finals MVP really really set the tone for what this Warriors team was able to do and tried to accomplish this year. They wanted to hit you from all sides of the court, and not have one weak link in there starting five. Harrison Barnes was another player that may have played his way into a max contract starting in last year's NBA finals and continuing that this year.

My selection is the Warriors winning in 7 games

I would like LeBron James to win this series, but it's hard to see that happening. After writing my piece on James getting to his sixth straight NBA finals, I realized how much of a hater I had become. This saddens me, and I need to give respect where respect is due. I put a little respek on his name. 

Talking about position match ups: I think LeBron James dominates any player that lines up defensively on him. LeBron is just too good, he's too big, he's too tall, he's too fast, he's too strong, too many grammatical errors. I have a feeling that Steph Curry is going to have at least one if not two ankle breaking GIFS for Kyrie. Look for Draymond to take it to Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love. I just wonder about JR Smith and Iman Shumpert being able to guard anyone on the Warriors team. Sean Livingston may come in and score on both of those players.

I think the Cavaliers will win three games at home and lose all four in the Oracle Center in San Francisco. I agree with Corbett when he talks about Klay Thompson winning the Finals MVP, however I think this is Steph Curry's MVP to lose. He may have won the league MVP last year, but this is a new Steph Curry and I don't think he will let another MVP slip away from him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment