Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Life as a hero

Watching the movie Chronicle today and it got my creative juices flowing. If you haven't seen the movie, I don't anticipate that this will ruin any of it that a preview already hasn't. In the movie, three young men gain supernatural powers and document their transformation. The friends include Andrew (an odd teen who is socially awkward), his cousin Matt (basically his only friend), and Steve (the popular kid in school aka Michael B. Jordan).
The thought that ran through my head was along the lines of picking out a crew of athletes that I could be a superhero with. For the sake of keeping this standardized for everyone, I'll set a couple of  rules:
1) You must pick an athlete from each the MLB, NBA, and NFL.
2) You cannot have two athletes who play for teams in the same city (i.e. no picking one city's teams and going all in)
My crew would be Kris Bryant (MLB), Willie Cauley-Stein (NBA), and Aaron Rodgers (NFL). You may ask yourself "why in the world would you get these three for your crew?" The main logic that I'm bringing is that I think they would be the best combination to have around for an extended period of time. Only Bryant was extremely highly rated out of high school, and even at that was an 18th round selection. Cauley-Stein was a top-50 prospect, but was at best a project. He developed well and found himself going #6 in the past draft. Rodgers is the biggest outlier, He did not even have a Division 1 offer out of high school and found himself at a junior college until getting the opportunity at California. He then found himself projected to go number 1 overall but falling to 24.
All of this played a role in my selecting of the three athletes. Nobody wants to be hanging out with people who have always been given everything they want. Hanging with the boys who fought their way to the top and likely do not have the diva complex of the normal stars sounds better to me. I feel like these three are cool enough to hang with that I wouldn't go insane. And if we're being honest, that's what we'd all want from our superhero crew. Just hanging with the boys, tormenting strangers, and living the dream.
 So who is in your crew? Comments are always welcomed!

All my love,
@corbeech

1 comment:

  1. Definitely Jake Arrieta, Richard Sherman, and Kevin Garnett. Nobody would roll on that crew. Ever

    ReplyDelete